June 23, 2010

Volkswagen heaven.

Driving a 1989 Saab 900 northbound on I-15 between Salt Lake City and Logan, Utah, I noticed a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia on the side of an abandoned machine shop. This was early 2007 and my interest in air-cooled Volkswagen was at its peak, to the point where I had purchased a 1962 Type 1 from a junkyard a few months prior to this. Intrigued by what I saw I took the next exit, turned back and followed the road to the machine shop. A pleasant surprise awaited me: the Ghia was the tip of the iceberg, about twenty cars were quietly dying behind the shop, most bearing the VW emblem and built in a time period when landing a man on the moon was little more than a dream. The following photos are from the first visits (with snow) and the second visit (without snow).

A late-1960s T2:

A Type 14 Karmann Ghia. The Honda 600 behind it is covered here.


.. doubt it, sorry.

T2 Kombi:

Two 1960s Type 1s spend the rest of their days side by side:

Lonely Karmann Ghia:

A Porsche 356 plays hide and seek in the vegetation:

T2 Single Cab:
Unloved Super Beetle:

The 900 I drove when I stumbled upon these cars is long gone, replaced over the years by four Mercedes-Benz sedans. Coincidentally the VWs are gone as well - first everything but the Kombi and the Single Cab was cleared out, with the aforementioned VWs stored inside the newly-emptied machine shop. A year later the machine shop itself was torn down and what happened to the two saved VWs is a mystery.

To end this series of Volkswagens here are more miscellaneous photos from that same year. First, the 1989 900 next to a 1960s Type 1:

A Type 14 Ghia. Note the BMW 3.0 CS in the background and a small bit of the 1992 300E that replaced the Saab:

A late-1960s T2 Westfalia:

1 comment:

Alex said...

Leaving a 356 to rot like that is such a shame. I hope the CS didn't rot as well, definitely my dream car to restore.