September 28, 2008

Please don't junk your rare European car.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been scavenging local junkyards looking for parts for my 300D. I've found a lot of stuff that I need: lights from a 300D, 4-speed transmission from a 240D, bumpers from a 280CE, etc. I have also found several cars that should under no circumstances be in junkyards (apologies for the photo quality, some of them were taken with my phone)

Fiat 1100:




It's obviously been sitting in the elements for a long time but it's mostly there and fairly rust free. This one is in Ogden, Utah, off of 17th Street.

1979 Lancia Beta:



Only a handful of Betas are left on the road. I knew this car before it was junked and despite having been parked for a few years, it would have been easy to get running. It's rusty underneath but it's not horrible. This one is at Tear-A-Part in Salt Lake City.

Simca Aronde:




Wow. When was the last time you saw a Simca in the U.S. How many Simcas were even imported to the U.S.? Seeing one of these in a French junkyard is quite a sight, seeing one in Utah is amazing. Much like the Fiat above, it's been sitting outside for a fair amount of time but it's mostly complete and fairly rust free, albeit a bit banged up.

1 comment:

BipolarBunny said...

Those are all going to be great when they're cleaned up and running.